Ask Kevin: Tips on New Lightbulb OptionsPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on March 11, 2016
Watch the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXkFQbHHR4
Kevin O'Connor explains what to look for when choosing energy-efficient lightbulbs. (See below for steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
1. Replace old incandescent lightbulbs with energy-efficient LED, halogen, and fluorescent bulbs.
2. When shopping for these new bulbs, it's important to look beyond the wattage ratings.
3. The output or brightness of a bulb is listed as lumens. An energy-efficient bulb produces the same output while using less electricity.
4. The color temperature of a bulb affects the look of the light.
5. A lower color temperature is similar to an incandescent bulb; higher color temperatures look more like daylight.
6. These new bulbs cost more than old incandescent lights, but they last much longer and save energy in the long run.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.