How to Install a Smart ThermostatPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on March 21, 2016
Watch the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz8l5nSyKkU
Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows a homeowner how to install and operate an energy-saving smart thermostat. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Shopping List for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
– Smart thermostat
Tools List for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
Steps for How to Install a Smart Thermostat:
1. Turn off the service switch on the side of the furnace.
2. Remove the faceplate from the existing thermostat.
3. Take a digital photograph of the wire connections.
4. Use a screwdriver to loosen the screw terminals on the thermostat's base plate.
5. Pull the end of each wire out of the terminal.
6. Unscrew and remove the base plate from the wall.
7. Screw the base plate of the new smart thermostat to the wall. Be sure the base plate is level.
8. Connect each wire to the appropriate terminal on the base plate. If necessary, refer to the photograph taken in Step 3.
9. Snap the smart thermostat onto the base plate.
10. Turn on the service switch at the furnace.
11. At the thermostat, follow the touch-screen prompts to choose the preferred language and internet setting, which allows you to control the thermostat remotely from a tablet or smart phone.
12. Next, enter the year when house was last remodeled, then select a name for the thermostat.[
13. Select the lowest and highest room temperatures for when you're not at home.
14. Adjust the thermostat setting each time you leave for work and return home. After a few days, the thermostat will learn your habits and automatically adjust the heat.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.