How to Install Cable LightingPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on April 23, 2017
Watch the full episode: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/ask-toh-build-it-cable-lights Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron replaces a track lighting setup with cable lighting in a new baby’s nursery. Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse Time: 3-4 hours Cost: $400 Skill Level: Moderate Tools List:
Wire Strippers Shopping List:
Cable Lighting Kit
Cable Lighting Heads
Wire Nuts Steps:
1. Before doing any electrical work, ensure that power is turned off at the circuit breaker.
2. Remove the existing light fixture by disconnecting the wiring connections and removing any supporting hardware.
3. Install the ceiling bracket provided with the cable light transformer to the existing electrical box.
4. Connect the ground wire from the electrical box to the ceiling bracket.
5. If needed, splice wire extensions to the existing conductors using wire nuts.
6. Feed the wire extensions down the center threaded rod of the ceiling bracket and through the center hole of the transformer.
7. Use the supplied nut to hold the transformer to the threaded rod.
8. Splice the wire extensions to the transformer wires using wire nuts.
9. Attach the transformer canopy using provided screws.
10. Measure and mark the locations for each standoff. Drill a pilot hole to confirm if there’s structure above. If there isn’t drill a hole large enough for a toggle bolt.
11. Run the cable through each standoff.
12. Add light heads in desired locations by tightening the thumb screws onto each low voltage wire.
13. Attach wires from transformer to the low voltage cable.
14. Restore power at the circuit breaker. Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThisOldHouse
Tweets by AskTOH
Tumblr: http://thisoldhouse.tumblr.com/ For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.