How to Install Surge ProtectionPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on February 7, 2016
Electrician Scott Caron installs several types of surge protection. (See below for a shopping list and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Shopping List for How to Install Surge Protection:
– Whole-house surge protector, used to protect home’s electrical system
– Power strip with built-in surge protector, for point-of-use protection
– Surge-protection outlet, used to replace standard outlets
Steps for How to Install Surge Protection:
1. Turn off the electricity to the house at the main electrical panel.
2. Unscrew and remove the front of the electrical panel, exposing the circuit breakers.
3. Remove the knockout plug from the side of the panel and install a whole-house surge protector.
4. Have a licensed electrician connect the surge protector to the circuits in the electrical panel.
5. For point-of-use surge protection, use a power strip that has a built-in surge protector.
6. Plug electronics, telephone, TV, computer and appliances into the surge-protected power strip, then plug the power strip into an electrical outlet.
7. To protect individual devices from power surges, have a licensed electrician replace standard electrical outlets with surge-protection outlets.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.