How to Paint an Exterior Metal DoorPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on May 3, 2018
Ask This Old House painter Mauro Henrique teaches a homeowner how to paint a metal front entry door. Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse Time: 3-4 hours Cost: $100 Skill Level: Beginner Tools List for Painting an Exterior Door:
HEPA vacuum with dust attachment
2” angled synthetic paint brush Shopping List:
400 grit sandpaper
Microfiber paint roller Steps:
1. Remove the door from its hinge pins with the hammer and place it on the saw horses.
2. Remove the hardware from the door and place it somewhere safe.
3. Lightly sand the door with 400 grit sandpaper.
4. Use the vacuum with the dust attachment to clean off the door, then wipe it down with a wet rag.
5. Pour the paint into a tray. Cut around the panels of the door or any other trim details using the paint brush.
6. Switch to a microfiber paint roller to paint the rest of the door. To minimize stroke marks, use long strokes and light pressure on the roller.
7. Let the door sit for an hour or two until dry, then apply the second coat.
8. Allow the second coat to dry, and then rehang the door. Resources:
Mauro used DTM, or direct-to-metal, paint that can be found at most home centers and paint supply stores. The paint was manufactured by Benjamin Moore (https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us) in the color “Black Beauty” (https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-search?keyword=black%20beauty). Other supplies for this project, including foam rollers and a synthetic angled sash brush are sold at home centers and paint supply stores. Expert assistance with this segment was provided by Mauro’s Painting (http://maurospainting.com/). Ask This Old House TV
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we're ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O'Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
This Old House releases new segments every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Keywords: This Old House, How-to, home improvement, DIY, ask this old house, painting, metal door, door, exterior, mauro henrique Watch the full episode: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/paint-door-wood-joints-ask-toh Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThisOldHouse
Tweets by AskTOH
Tumblr: http://thisoldhouse.tumblr.com/ For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.