How to Repair a Broken DoorbellPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on June 14, 2016
Watch the full episode: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,21008776,00.html
Scott Caron, master electrician for Ask This Old House, replaces a broken chime on a doorbell. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Shopping List for How to Repair a Broken Doorbell:
– Doorbell and chime
Tools for How to Repair a Broken Doorbell:
Steps for How to Repair a Broken Doorbell:
1. Turn off the power source for the doorbell and undo the wire connections to remove the chime. Be sure to mark where each connection goes: front door, transformer, and rear door.
2. Attach the wires of the new chime to the existing wires and screw down the connections with a screwdriver.
3. Mount the new chime and screw it down using a driver.
4. Unscrew the old push button with a screwdriver and break those wire connections.
5. Attach the new push button wires to the existing wires using a screwdriver. If the new chime is digital, you may need to add diodes, which should be included with the chime.
6. Drive the new push button housing into the old screw holes.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.