How to Update a Kitchen with PaintPosted by plumbingpros in Home Improvement Tips, on February 2, 2016
Watch the full episode: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20981502,00.html
Ask This Old House host Kevin O’Connor uses a special paint to revamp an old kitchen. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Shopping List for How to Update a Kitchen with Paint:
– Specially formulated paint
– Spray paint
– Plastic gloves
– Paint pan
– Painter’s pyramid holders
– Biodegradable cleanser
– Painter’s tape
Tools for How to Update a Kitchen with Paint:
– Driver (to remove hardware)
– Screwdriver (to remove outlet covers)
– Paint rollers
Steps for How to Update a Kitchen with Paint:
1. Using a driver, remove fasteners and hardware from the cabinets.
2. Using a biodegradable cleanser, thoroughly wipe down all of the cabinets and doors.
3. Apply painter’s tape around the edges of the cabinets.
4. Place doors on pyramid holders and apply one coat of paint to each, using a roller.
5. Using rollers and brushes, apply one coat of paint to cabinets.
6. Allow paint to dry for at least 2 hours.
7. Repeat painting steps to apply a second coat.
8. Give paint 24 hours to dry.
9. On day two, clean off the backsplash, using the same biodegradable cleanser.
10. Remove any outlet covers with a screwdriver, and apply painter’s tape to the edges.
11. Using rollers and brushes apply first coat of paint to the backsplash.
12. Wait at least 2 hours to allow paint to dry.
13. Apply second coat of paint to the backsplash.
14. Allow paint to dry and reattach outlet covers using a screwdriver.
15. Apply spray paint to hardware, preferably outside or in a well-ventilated area.
16. Wait at least an hour for spray paint to dry.
17. Reattach hardware to cabinets, using a driver.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.