Restoring the Inn with Native Limestone | The Bermuda House, Episode 2 (2004)

Posted by in Home Improvement Tips, on February 4, 2016

Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel:

Host Kevin O'Connor and master carpenter Norm Abram open the show in Southampton at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Built in 1846, it's one of the oldest cast-iron lighthouses in the world. At 362 feet above sea level it's also the highest point in Bermuda, offering panoramic views of the island. Back in St. George's, Kevin meets architect Colin Campbell to review his design plans for the renovation and expansion of Harbour View. Norm meets fourth-generation quarry man Jonathan Cumberbatch at a quarry in Smith's parish to see how native limestone is quarried and cut into roofing tiles known as "slate". At the project house, lead mason Dilton Cann shows Norm how he's using the slate, mortar, and cement wash to repair the extensive roof damage caused by hurricane Fabian. General contractor Alan Burland and job foreman John Richardson give Norm a progress tour: the former kitchen and second floor bath have been removed, the cedar roof rafters have been exposed and reinforced, excavation for the new addition is complete, and the window frames are being replaced. Homeowners Andrea Dismont and Delaey Robinson begin stripping their old Bermuda cedar window sash by hand, using the less-toxic chemical paint stripper that This Old House used with great success in Winchester. Now all the team needs is a building permit to begin work on the addition. If the approval is delayed much longer, the job may not be finished by the time This Old House has to head back to Boston.

Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more stories like this from Bay Area Plumbing Headquarters, bookmark our site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *